SQL injection is a very common method that hackers use to get information out from the database of your website which doesn’t seem like it should be possible but if you have the correct vulnerabilities, hackers can do this.
How do SQL Injections Make your WordPress site Vulnerable
What exactly is SQL injection?
SQL injections means a hacker can gain access to your site’s database by submitting SQL commands via submittable form fields. These forms when submitted, interact with your database usually. When a hacker inputs SQL queries into the form, the forms then go to the database and can return information to the hacker that they are requesting. So they can gain access to really all the data in your database. If you don’t have some really high-end monitoring on your website you won’t even know it’s happening. This often results from improper coding of the forms on your website. As a WordPress user, we don’t have control over the coding of those forms.
What can an attacker do with SQL injections?
- An attacker can use SQL injection to bypass authentication or even impersonate specific users.
- An SQL injection vulnerability could allow the complete disclosure of data residing on a database server.
- Since web applications use SQL to alter data within a database, an attacker could use SQL injection to alter data stored in a database. Altering data affects data integrity and could cause repudiation issues, for instance, issues such as voiding transactions, altering balances and other records.
- SQL is used to delete records from a database. An attacker could use an SQL injection vulnerability to delete data from a database. Even if an appropriate backup strategy is employed, deletion of data could affect an application’s availability until the database is restored.
- Some database servers are configured to allow arbitrary execution of operating system commands on the database server. Given the right conditions, an attacker could use SQL injection as the initial vector in an attack of an internal network that sits behind a firewall.
How to fix SQL injection vulnerability
This vulnerability can exist in the WordPress core files, comment forms, contact forms, themes, plugins or surveys. To avoid SQL injections, it’s really important to update your websites. You need to update your WordPress themes, plugins and WordPress core files as soon as updates become available. Although updating can be a pain it’s always suggested because SQL injection is a very real threat and it’s easy to avoid by making those updates. Usually, if there is an SQL injection problem developers make sure to fix it right away. Even updates can become hot and heavy if theses injections are found.